A few questions about Spears of the Dawn:
1) Has anyone homebrewed their own setting beyond the 3 Lands? I created a world called Cadafre, and the 3 Lands are located on the Africa-inspired continent of Sah .
2) Does anyone have advice on ways to reduce the combat lethality of SOTD? I get that it's part of the system but I like to run campaigns where PCs have a better (though not necessarily guaranteed) chance if survival.
3) Am I correct in assuming Nyala is inspired by the Mali Empire, because of its status as an empire in decline competing with nearby (Songhai-inspired) rising empire of Kirsi? I want to make sure I'm getting my cultural influences right.
2) The cheap solution is to give everyone a 10 HP boost at first level to allow them to take a couple-three extra hits before they go down. If you want to be hardassed about it, don't let their maximum HP increase until their natural HD rolls exceed the boosted total.
3) Yep, Mali and Songhai were the touchstones I used.
+Kevin Crawford Thanks!! Huge fan of Spears of the Dawn and SWN by the way. 👍